The Arado Ar 96 was a German aircraft employed by the Luftwaffe as a military trainer between 1939 and 1945. It was also in service with the Hungarian, Romanian, and Czechoslovakian air forces. Designed by Walter Blume, the Ar 96 was developed and manufactured by Arado Flugzeugwerke, with a total production of 3,450 aircraft. It was a very maneuverable aircraft, but it was too slow to be used as a last-ditch fighter when Germany was losing the war; so, it was also employed as a ground-attack aircraft, instead, to harass enemy troops.
The Arado Ar 96 was a two-seat monoplane, featuring low wings, an all-metal fuselage, and retractable landing gear. However, the Ar-396 variant, produced in France, had a wooden fuselage, being officially called SIPA SS11. The Ar 96B-2 version was propelled by one Argus As 410A-1, V12, piston engine, that generated 465 horsepower. When used in the ground-attack role, it was armed with one 7.92mm MG-17 machine gun and carried up to 100 kg of bombs.
Type: trainer / attack aircraft
Wingspan: 36′ 1″ (11 m)
Length: 29′ 10″ (9.1 m)
Height: 8′ 6″ (2.6 m)
Maximum speed: 207 mph
Range: 615 miles