The Browning GP 35 was a 9mm-caliber automatic pistol designed by John Moses Browning and manufactured by the Belgian state-run firm Frabrique National (FN) from 1935; GP stands for Grande Puissance, which means High Power. It was one of the last weapon designs developed by John Browning before he died in 1925, but it was not until 1935 that the GP (HP) was placed in production by FN at Liège. As most of the guns designed by this American genius, the Browning GP 35 was a sturdy and reliable weapon, firing the standard 9mm Parabellum cartridge. This Belgian-made pistol used a recoil-operated mechanism powered by the blowback forces produced on firing and had an external hammer. In many ways the action can be regarded as the same as that on the Colt M1911 (also a Browning design). Another desirable feature that often proved invaluable during the war was the large-capacity box magazine in the butt, which could hold a useful 13 rounds.
The Browning GP 35 had been adopted as the service pistol of several nations including Belgium, Denmark, Lithuania and Romania. After 1940 production continued, but this time it was for the Germans who adopted the type as the standard pistol of the Waffen SS, although other arms of the German forces also used the weapon. To the Germans the Browning GP was known as the Pistole P620(b). However, the Germans did not have the Browning HP all to themselves, for a new production line was opened in Canada and from there the Browning HP was distributed to nearly all the Allied nations as the Pistol, Browning, FN, 9mm HP No 1.
Type: recoil-operated automatic pistol
Country of origin: Belgium
Manufacturer: FN (Frabrique National)
Caliber: 9 mm
Cartridge: 9 mm Parabellum
Barrel length: 112 mm (4.41 in)
Weight: 1.01kg (2.23 lb)
Muzzle velocity: 354 m ( 1,160 ft) per second
Magazine: 13-round box