The F-4 Phantom II was a twin-engined, long-range supersonic jet fighter-bomber and interceptor. It was developed by McDonnell Aircraft between 1953 and 1958 for the US Navy. As it turned out to be a versatile fighter, the F-4 fighter became a major part of the air wings of the United States Navy, Marine Corps, and Air Force. It was used extensively during the Vietnam War. It was the principal air superiority fighter for both the Navy and Air Force. The Phantom also played an important role as a ground-attack and reconnaissance aircraft. Although it had been introduced in 1960, the F-4 continued to take part in the U.S. military air power throughout the 1970s and 1980s, until it was replaced by more modern aircraft such as the F-15 Eagle and F-16 Fighting Falcon in the U.S. Air Force, and the F-14 Tomcat and F/A-18 Hornet in the U.S. Navy.
The F4 Phantom II was in tandem, two-seat fighter, which was powered by two General Electric J79-GE-17A axial compressor turbojets. It could reach a maximum speed of Mach 2.23 (1,472 mph, 2,370 km/h) at 40,000 ft (12,190 m). With 3 external fuel tanks, the Phantom had a range of 1,403 nmi (1,615 mi, 2,600 km). This fighter was armed with 4× AIM-7 Sparrow in fuselage recesses plus 4 × AIM-9 Sidewinders on wing pylons.
F4 Phantom Fighter