The Focke-Wulf Fw 190 “Würger” was a one of the fastest and most powerful fighter aircraft of World War II. It was extensively used by the Luftwaffe from 1941 until 1945, participating in fierce air battles of the war alongside the Messerschmitt Bf 109. It was massively manufactured by the German firms Focke-Wulf, Arado, and Fieseler, with over 20,000 aircraft. The Focke-Wulf Fw 190 was highly esteemed by the German pilots as it proved to be superior in all but turn radius to the Royal Air Force’s main front-line fighter, the Spitfire Mk. V variant. German aces such as Otto Kittel and Erich Rudorffer shot down 267 and 222 enemy planes respectively flying the Focke-Wulf Fw 190. Around 20,000 were manufactured, which included 6,000 fighter-bomber models, during a four-year period.
The Focke-Wulf Fw 190 was designed by Kurt Tank in 1939 and manufactured by Focke-Wulf Flugzeugbau AG. Technicaly, it was a low-winged monoplane, equipped with retractable landing gear. Fast and maneuverable, it was feared by the enemy as it was armed with two 20mm guns. The Fw 190G-2 was a special version conceived for ground-attack raids, being fitted with wing racks for bombs and droptanks. The Focke-Wulf Fw 190 D-9 was powered by a Junkers Jumo 213 A-1 12-cylinder piston engine of 1,800 hp. This German fighter aircraft was used on every front of the war, on the Western and on the Russian Front, as a fighter interceptor, as the Junkers Ju 87’s escort, and as a bomber for ground attack missions.
Specifications (Fw 190 D-9 variant)
Wingspan: 10.5 m
Length: 9 m
Height: 3.95 m
Wing area: 18.3 m2
Maximum speed: 685 km/h
Range: 835 km
Rate of climb: 17 m/s
Two 13mm MG-131 machine guns; two 20mm MG-151 cannons; one 500-kg bomb.