The Heinkel He 45 was a two-seat, single-engine aircraft in service with the Luftwaffe from 1934 to 1945. Designed as a light bomber, it had performed its first flight as a prototype in 1931. It first saw combat action in late 1936, in the Spanish Civil War, with the Condor Legion and the Spanish Nationalist air force. By the time World War II broke out in 1939, most of the 420 Heinkel He 45s in service with the Luftwaffe were being used as reconnaissance and trainning aircraft. However, Some of them would be used as a frontline aircraft again in the ground-attak role to harass enemy troops during the rest of the war.
The Heinkel He 45 was a biplane, with the upper wing slightly forward than the lower. Fitted with fixed landing gear, its structure was made of steel tubes, with a plywood fuselage. It was powered by one BMW VI 7.3, V-12 engine that delivered 750 horsepower. It had a maximum speed of 180 miles per hour (290 km/h) and a range of 750 miles. It was armed with two 7.92mm MG-17 machine guns, one mounted in the engine cowling, firing forward, the other in the rear cockpit, operated by gunner.
Type: light bomber
Wingspan: 11.5 m
Length: 10.6 m
Height: 3.6 m