The Heinkel He 46 was a two-seat, single-engined aircraft in service with the Luftwaffe from 1933 to 1943. Developed by Heinkel, the prototype performed its first flight in 1931, with a biplane design. However, its lower wing would be removed and the He 46 became a parasol-winged monplane. It got its baptism of fire in the Spanish Civil War, being used in the ground-attack/light bomber role. During World War II, the Luftwaffe employed it as a reconnaissance aircraft and night light bomber. Propelled by one 660hp, Bramo SAM 22B, radial engine, the He 46 featured fixed landing gear, a 10º-swept-back upper wing, and an all-metal fuselage. In the light-bomber role, it could carry a bombload of 200 kg as it was armed with one 7.92mm MG 15 machine gun. Heinkel manufactured approximately 500 units of this aircraft in four versions: He 46C-1, He 46C-2, He 46E, and He 46F.
Type: reconnaissance / light bomber
Wingspan: 14 m
Length: 9.5 m
Height: 3.4 m
Maximum speed: 155 mph (250 km/h)
Range: 621 miles (1,000 km)