The Henschel Hs 126 was a medium-range, reconnaissance aircraft in service with the Luftwaffe from 1937. It was also employed by the Condor Legion in the Spanish Civil War between 1938 and 1939. Since more advanced aircraft had been introduced to perform the role for which it had been designed, it was retired as a reconnaissance and observation plane in 1942, but continued to be used as a ground-attack aircraft in nocturnal missions for the remainder of World War II.
The Henschel Hs 126 was a two-seat, single-engine monoplane. It featured parasol wings (set over the cockpit and supported by struts), fixed landing gear and an all-metal fuselage. It was propelled by one Bramo 323, 9-cylinder, radial engine, which delivered 850 horsepower. The aircraft had a range of 620 miles (998 km) and a service ceiling of 28,000 feet (8,530 m). Its maximum speed was 221 miles per hour. It was armed with two 7,92mm machine guns, one firing forward and operated by pilot, and the other firing backward operated by back seat gunner, and could carry up to three 50-kg bombs.