The Hs 293 was a German glide bomb developed by Henschel and used by the Luftwaffe between 1942 and 1945, during World War II. The bomb was designed to be used against ships and was fitted with a rocket engine and a radio receiver to be guided toward its target. The Henschel Hs 293 weighed 500 kg and was armed with a high explosive charge. It had a range of 5 km (3 miles) and was dropped from a Heinkel He 111 bomber. The Hs 293 ailerons were operated with selenoids, which provided flight stability through a radio link.