The M7 Priest was an American, self-propelled, 105mm howitzer extensively used by the US and British armies during World War II. It would also be employed by the Americans in Korea. Entering service in April 1942, it was first deployed on a war front in North Africa as it was first used in combat in the Battle of El Alamein in November 1942. It was also deployed in Italy, France, and Germany, seeing combat action in the Batlle of Normandy, Battle of Brest, Battle of Cherbourg, and the Battle of the Bulge. Being a fast mobile artillery piece, it was always right behind advancing Allied forces to provide fire support to spearhead infantry units. M7 Priest howitzers were massively used to tear out gaps in the enemy lines for the ground forces to pour in.
Technically, the M7 Priest was an M2 105mm howitzer mounted on the chassis of an M3 medium tank. This mobile artillery piece was roofless and fitted with a fixed, round turret, which was armed with a .50 (12.7mm) Browning machine gun and located on the right hand side of the howitzer. The 105 mm Howitzer Motor Carriage M7, as the Priest was officially known, was powered by a Continental R-975-EC-2 gasoline engine, which developed 340 hp. It had a maximum speed of 26 miles per hour (41 km/h) and a range of 120 miles.
Weight: 27.25 tons
Length: 18′ 6″ (5.64 m)
Width: 8′ 11″ (2.7 m)