The Marder II was a German an anti-tank, tracked vehicle used by the Wehrmacht during World War II. Fielded in late 1941, it was composed of the Panzer II tank’s chassis and the 7.5-cm Pak 40 gun, which was fitted with a frontal and lateral steel shield that protected its servers. The Pak 40 (Panzerabwehrkanone 40) was a 75-mm-caliber cannon designed specifically to destroy tanks; it had a direct-fire range of 1,800 m (5,900 ft) and an indirect-fire range of 7,670 m (25,190 ft), with a rate of fire of 14 rounds per minute. So, it could destroy frontally the Soviet T-34 tank from a distance of 950 m (about 1,100 yards).

The Marder II’s power plant consisted of one Maybach HL62 gasoline engine, generating 140 hp. It had a maximum speed of 40 km/h (25 mph) and a range of 190 km (119 miles). Being produced in great numbers, the Marder II would remain in service until the end of the war.

Specifications

Type: tank destroyer

Length: 20 ft 10.4 in (6.36 m)

Width: 7 ft 5.8 in (2.28 m)

Height: 7 ft 2.6 in (2.20 m)

Weight: 11 tons

Crew: 4

MarderII

Related posts:

MBDA Meteor Missile
Kerr Double-Action Revolver
FN MAG Machine Gun