The MAS-49 was a 7.5mm rifle produced by the French State-run firm Manufacture d’Armes de Saint-Etienne. It had been designed just before the German invasion of France in 1940 but did not enter production until 1949. It was in service with the French Army between 1951 and 1979 and was used in combat in the French-Indochina War and Algerian War, being replaced by the FAMAS Bullpup rifle in the 1970s. Fitted with a direct impingement, gas-operated reloading system, the MAS-49 was a semi-automatic (single-shot) rifle, chambered for the 7.5x54mm French cartridge. The receiver was fed from a 10-round detachable magazine. The charging handle was located on the right side of the weapon and the safe lever in the trigger guard area, in front of trigger. Since the ignition gas fouling did not afect the bolt, this French rifle was regarded as a very dependable gun, working efficiently even in adverse conditions. Manufacture d’Armes de Saint-Etienne also produced an export version, officially designated as MAS-49/56.

Specifications

Type: battle rifle

Caliber: 7.65mm

Weight: 4.7 kg

Barrel length: 58 cm

Muzzle velocity: 830 m/s

Max effective range: 800 m

mas-49

mas-49_rifle

Related posts:

Argentine Mauser 1909
Arisaka Type 38 Rifle
ACR Rifle