The Panzer 38t (PzKpfw 38 t) was a light tank used by the German Army during World War II. It was designed and developed by the Czech firm Skoda and entered service in the Czech Army in 1938 as the TNH P-S, their standard light tank. Nevertheless, the Wehrmacht occupied Czechoslovakia in 1939 and the mass production of the tank was taken over by the Germans. Used by two Panzer Divisions in the Battle of France in 1940, the was in production for the German army until 1942. The basic chassis was later used for a number of self-propelled artillery pieces. The two-man turret was in the center of the hull and armed with a 37.2mm Skoda A7 gun, which could fire both armor-piercing and HE rounds with an elevation of +12° and a depression of -6°. Mounted coaxial with and to the right of the main armament was a 7.92mm (0,31-in) machine-gun. The driver was seated at the front of the tank on the right, with the bow machine-gunner to his left and operating the other the 7.92mm-caliber MG 37(t) machine-gun. The hull and turret of the Panzer 38t were of riveted construction, the top of the superstructure being bolted into position. Maximum thickness was 25mm (1 in), while the minimum armor thickness was 10mm (0.4 in) and, from the Ausf E, this was increased to 50 mm (1.96 in).
Type: light tank
Country of origin: Czechoslovakia
Armament: one 37.2mm-caliber Skoda A7 gun; two 7,92mm machine guns
Engine: one Praga EPA six-cylinder water-cooled inline gasoline engine, developing 150 hp
Maximum speed: 42 km/h (26 mph)
Weight: 9700 kg (21,385 lb)