The leichter Schützenpanzerwagen Sd.Kfz 250 was an armoured, half-tracked vehicle employed by the Wehrmacht during World War II. Designed and developed by the German firm Demag, it entered service in 1941 as it first saw combat action on the Eastern Front at the end of that year. By April 1945, more than 6,000 Sd.Kfz 250s had been built and used on every front of the war. SdKfz stands for the German word Sonderkraftfahrzeug (special vehicle or truck).
The Sonderkraftfahrzeug 250 “Aufklärung” (reconnaissance vehicle)
The leichter Schützenpanzerwagen Sd.Kfz 250 was used by both the mechanized infantry and armoured divisions of the German Army as a standard personnel carrier, reconnaissance, and fire support vehicle. In the reconnaissance role, it was armed with a 7.92mm machine gun (MG-34/42). For fire support missions, the Sd.Kfz 250 could be either fitted out with one 20mm gun (2cm KwK 38), mounted in a rotating turret, or one short-barreled, 75mm gun (7.5cm KwK 37 L/24), which was the same gun employed on the Panzer IV Ausf A / C. The crew was protected by 14.5-mm-thick armour on the front and 5.5-mm on the sides.
Length: 4.56 m
Width: 1.94 m
Height: 1.66 m
Weight: 5.8 tons
Power plant: one Maybach, 6-cylinder, water-cooled, gasoline engine, generating 100 hp
Maximum speed: 76 km/h
Range: 200 km
Below: the Sd.Kfz 250/9 Ausf B, mounting a 20mm gun
Below: the Sd.Kfz 250/8 Ausf B, featuring a 75mm gun