The Tu-16 “Badger” was a Soviet, long-range bomber used during the Cold War. Developed and manufactured by the state-run firm Tupolev, it entered service in 1954, but its prototype, the Tu-88, had first flown in 1952. It was the first jet-powered strategic bomber deployed by the Soviet Union, replacing the aging, piston-engined Tu-4 “Bull”. With over 1,500 Tu-16s produced, it constituted the backbone of the Soviet nuclear deterrence bombers force for almost two decades. It had a bombload capacity of 9,000 kg of free-fall bombs and it was adapted to also carry anti-ship missiles, such as, the Raduga KS-1 Komet and the Raduga K-10S.
The Tupolev Tu-16 was equipped with large, mid, swept wings and retractable landing gear. Its two Mikulin AM-3 M-500 turbojet engines were mounted on each side of the fuselage, at the base of the wings. The main version, the Tu-16A was designed to carry nuclear bombs, while the Tu-16R and Tu-16RM-1 were the reconnaissance variants of the Badger. All versions were armed with six 23mm Afanasev Makarov AM-23 cannons, which were mounted in dorsal, ventral, and tail remote turrets.
Type: jet-engined, long-range bomber
Wingspan: 33 m
Length: 34.8 m
Height: 10.36 m
Wing area: 165 m2
Maximum speed: 1,050 km/h
Range: 7,200 km